Friday, April 13, 2007

George Eastman House

Everyone in my family loves baseball!

So, in a few weeks time, we're headed off on a pilgrimage of sorts to the Baseball Hall of Fame. My brother has generously set up a trip to take my mom and my uncle, who love baseball more than all the rest of us combined, on a trip to Cooperstown. The rest of us are along for the ride. Oh and for the hot dogs which my nephew, who's been before, tells me are the best he's ever eaten.

Now it's true, I love baseball. What I don't love is the idea of spending 3 days (yes 3) inside the Baseball Hall of Fame. The thought alone is making me cranky. Can't imagine what I'll be like when I'm really there.

Since one of my goals this year is see the musical "Wicked", I saw this vacation as the perfect opportunity to get that one out of the way. Heck, we're just a few hunderd miles away from New York City! I suggested to my family that we take one of those 3 days, grab a train and head off to NYC to see a broadway play! I said it with as much enthuiasm and persuavise power as I could muster and threw it out there for a family vote. It was unnaminous! NO! Not one other person thought getting on a train to go 200 miles into NYC just to see a play that cost over $120 a ticket was a worthy venture. Imagine that.

Now it's on to Plan B. Jump in the rental car at the crack of dawn, drive 3 hours to Rochester and tour the George Eastman House! Way better!!

I've wanted to go to The GEH since the day I heard about it 30 some years ago. I'm fascinated with the history of photography and this is THE premire spot in the world for it. I've been to photo history museums in Ireland, The Czech Republic, Holland, France, Sweden and England. None of them can compare to the prestige or vast collection of the GEH.

I want to spend all three days there! When I told my nephew that today he said "yuck" and when I asked him why, he said "Just looking at photographs for 3 days? Are you kidding". I laughed because I knew exactly how he felt. It's the way I feel about baseball memorbillia.

When I told my mom she said "make sure you ask everyone else what they want to do first before you make plans".

and then I really laughed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment