Saturday, May 5, 2007

Belief-O-Matic

Recently, someone at another site told me about an online quiz called "Belief-O-Matic". They suggested I take the test so I could get a better idea of just what it was I believed and to help determine what religion I was "supposed to be".

Sounded silly yet intriguing. So of course, I just had to try it!

There's around 20 questions about your views on topics such as the existence of a deity, the origins of life on Earth, what happens after death, how does one obtain salvation and how important is it to avoid violence.

Some of the answer choices are a bit vague and jumbled but, all in all, it was worth the few minutes it took to complete.

The outcome was a bit surprising to me as my top 5 "best" matches were:

  • Unitarian Universialist - 100% match
  • Liberal Quaker - 97%
  • Shikism - 90%
  • Theravada Buddhism - 87%
  • Mahayana Buddhism - 84%

Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants was number 9 and Mainline to Conservative Christian Protestant was clear down at 19. Having spent most my life inside Protestant churches, this was a pretty interesting thing to discover.

I don't even know a thing about any of the religions on my list except for Quakers. I do know it's an odd thing when you realize the label you've been wearing for so long, really doesn't fit your thinking any longer.

So what changes, the label or the thinking?? I'm not sure just yet.

Here's a link to the test so you can try it out yourself. I'd love to hear about your results and more importantly, your reaction to them. Have fun!



http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

3 comments:

  1. I did this but didn't like the results. I think I'll retake it and see what happens this time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No surprise here:
    1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)
    2. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (93%)
    3. Seventh Day Adventist (86%)
    4. Eastern Orthodox (79%)
    5. Roman Catholic (79%)
    6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (64%)
    7. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (49%)
    8. Islam (46%)
    9. Orthodox Judaism (46%)
    10. Hinduism (45%)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was interesting. Like you, Laura, I don't know about many of those religions either. Here's what I am "pigeon-holed" as.

    1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
    2. Orthodox Quaker (98%)
    3. Hinduism (89%)
    4. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (83%)
    5. Eastern Orthodox (82%)
    6. Roman Catholic (82%)
    7. Seventh Day Adventist (80%)
    8. Orthodox Judaism (79%)
    9. Liberal Quakers (78%)
    10. Mahayana Buddhism (76%)

    Shellie

    ReplyDelete